Save lives! Everyone should be an organ donor (thousands of people die every year waiting for donations that never come), but most won’t end up dying in a way that makes us suitable (brain death). However…
Countless lives are saved and improved through the donation of tissue, and most people can be tissue donors regardless of age or cause of death. Indicate that you want to be an organ and tissue donor on your driver’s license and register at the Sharing Network
You can donate your entire body to:
- UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School for research and training. You only pay for the transportation (about $850).
- Columbia University Medical School. If you die within 60 miles of NYC. Free.
- Anatomy Gifts Registry is a not-for-profit organizations that use parts for research and training. Free.
- Humanity Gifts Registry, a not-for-profit that uses parts for research and training. They will contribute $100 towards the transportation costs. Must be within 50 miles of Philly.
- Mercer County Community College Funeral Service Education Program for “embalming, research and advancement of funeral service education.” Free.
- Or, if for some reason you prefer to donate to a for-profit company, LifeQuest Anatomical will use parts for research and training. Free. But, check this out first… Body Brokers
With all of these options, the cremated remains are returned to you.
Be sure to have a backup plan as a surprising number of donations are not accepted.
Get a New Jersey Donate Life license plate